I recently stumbled upon the #2018makenine challenge by Rochelle here. I’ve already posted my plan on instagram (@abbeynormalstitches and @abbeynormalbujo), but here’s why I chose my nine projects:
- What do you want or need? I need to make costumes for Dragoncon. Project #7 – stay tuned for updates.
- What did you learn from last year’s successes and “failures”? If you didn’t finish something on last year’s list, ask yourself why. I didn’t have a makenine list last year, but I did have a DIY wedding. I learned a lot about large repetitive projects, DIY parties, and when to buy something rather than make hundreds of them.
- What values are important to you? This year I’d like to make something for charity. Project #9 will be something like an octopus for a preemie or a twiddle muff.
- What’s in your laundry basket right now that you wear all the time? Are you interested in trying to recreate it? Big sweaters and my Gaithersburg Stole. Project #1 will be my first sweater.
- What types of things do you really LOVE making? What do you dislike making? I love learning new stitches. I really hate weaving in ends. Granny squares projects aren’t my favorites, but are still doable.
- Are you a seasonal maker? Nope! I always have a WIP.
- Look at your calendar. Time isn’t found, it’s made. How much time can you make for each of the projects on your list? One of my priorities in 2018 is making sure I don’t overwhelm myself with commitments. My goal is to fill this challenge with fun projects I want to do in my free time, rather than things I feel obligated to do. Project #4 will be a bullet journal page to keep track!
- Do you want to stash-bust? Why or why not? I’m going to frog projects I don’t want to complete (project #2) and complete unfinished projects (project #8). I’ve already pruned down my Ravelry library to patterns I’ve purchased and free patterns I want to do in the near future.
- Is there a completely new-to-you type of project that you want to explore? Do you have the time and patience to explore it, knowing it’s possible you won’t like/wear it in the end? This year I plan on learning tunisian crochet. This will be project #5. It’s been on my list for a long long time.
- Project #1 – Inmost Cardigan by ElevenHandmade – almost done!
- Project #2 – Frog projects I don’t want to finish. – done!
- Project #3 – Finish our honeymoon scrapbook
- Project #4 – Bullet Journal tracker page – done!
- Project #5 – Green Island Scarf by Patrick Hassel-Zein
- Project #6 – Something from one of the pattern books I just bought by Brenda K.B. Anderson
- Project #7 – Dragoncon Costumes
- Project #8 – Finish 1/2 done projects (Wie Gemalt, Kitchen Towels, amigurumi elephants)
- Project #9 – Something for charity
Here is my bullet journal tracker for this challenge. I used one of my Pentel EnerGel pens, a removable sticker, and my Tombow dual brushes in yellow and orange.