I’ve finished the Cosmic CAL by Helen Shrimpton (See Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4Part 4.33Part 6.5, and Part 8). The colorway is Harmony. It took me 8 weeks and 5 days. You can visit my Ravelry project page here.

I thought I was going to have a ton of ends to weave in. (I had been ignoring them for at least the last 3 parts trying to catch up.) Luckily, I was able to get them sorted in about an hour. I did my best to work stitches over the ends where I could, so I hope that helped.

IMG_20180619_202418.jpg

Not gonna lie – when I read the last row involved crocheting backwards, I couldn’t help but laugh. I love the way it looks as a border, but it was a pain in the butt to learn to crochet backwards. It’s just another thing I learned thanks to Helen’s brilliant pattern.

IMG_20180619_211701_932.jpg

To use a British term (in Helen’s honor), I’m chuffed. This blanket is like a needlepoint sampler – it’s an example of the level of difficult stitches and color work that I can do. Here’s a photo of it laid out before being blocked:

IMG_20180625_073207.jpg

A photo of the way I ended up blocking it:

IMG_20180625_094550.jpg

I reordered the same blocking tiles on Amazon and somehow got two sets that didn’t fit together (by the same company). I tried to find the yellow ones again, but couldn’t, so here’s my blocking situation. It is just the blocking tiles you can see, so I had to pin it to the floor in places. I spent 20 – 30 minutes stretching and straightening before taking the photo. I pinned and stretched a bit more based on the photo. The scalloped row of mustard after the sunbursts looks really lovely after minimal blocking, but I hadn’t noticed it at all before.

And a photo of it laid out after being blocked:

IMG_20180626_075003-1.jpg

As you can see, blocking was totally worth it. It was difficult to get a shot straight on. I even tried stand on a chair…

I thoroughly enjoyed this pattern and appreciated the level of instruction provided by Helen. Being in a Facebook group with thousands of people completing the pattern at the same time was a fun experience as well.

Since I finished, I’ve been switching between one of my #2018makenine projects (a Tiki Head Bolster from a pattern by Brenda K. B. Anderson), a Portal cross stitch I started years ago, and a cross stitch I’m completing with friends. I hope to get those Critical Role patterns up soon too!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s